Skip to main content

ANOTHER BLOG? WHY!!!!!

I'm not much for blogging as of now... I read a few (http://withleather.com/, http://filmdrunk.com/, http://wwtdd.com/, http://consumerist.com/), but that's about it. So, why am I doing this? Well, mostly as a way of talking to myself. I like to organize my thinking by writing, so why not let other people read my thoughts if they like?

This blog will therefore be about whatever I'm thinking about. I tend to view the world through science and reason, and that is my fundamental approach to doing pretty much everything, for better or worse. If you want to disagree with me and convince me of something, you'd best approach me with reason.

Science-y topics to expect include artificial intelligence, cognitive science, computer science, economics, and mathematics. Outside those, I'll probably be talking about my relationships, job, life, books, movies, sports, my fantasy football team, and anything else I feel like. It is my blog after all. If you don't like it, piss off.

About me:
I'm 25, living in Seattle and working for Microsoft as a Program Manager. I went to MIT for undergrad in Computer Science and grad school at the Media Lab. I was born in Southern California and raised in Birmingham, Alabama. I'm a libertarian and an atheist. Don't hate me for any of this; I'm also a person trying to live and be happy and help those around me as best I can, especially my girlfriend and our dog, William. And, my 10th grade English teacher Mrs. Bice said I was a natural writer. We'll see.

Comments

susan said…
Wow, dude. Less than a year in the Pacific Northwest and you have a political blog with a slant towards sane energy policy. And you shop at farmers markets. I'm proud, welcome for real to Seattle. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

What is “Sentient AI?”

Recently, as anyone who has managed to find this post is likely to know, a  Google engineer was placed on leave after raising concerns that they may have created a sentient artificial intelligence (AI) , called LaMDA (Language Model for Dialog Applications). This story made waves in the popular press, with many people outside the field wondering if we had at last created the sci-fi holy grail of AI: a living machine. Meanwhile, those involved in cognitive science or AI research were quick to point out the myriad ways LaMDA fell short of what we might call “sentience.” Eventually,  enough   popular   press   articles   came   out   to   firmly   establish   that   anyone   who   thought   there   might   be   a   modicum   of   sentience   in   LaMDA   was  a fool, the victim of their own credulity for wanting to anthropomorphize anything capable of language. That previous sentence has 23 hyperlinks to different articles with various angles describing why having a sentience conversation

Capitalism and Greedy Algorithms

Capitalism: you hate it, you love it, you love to hate it, and you hate to love it. As the dominant, or at least most successful, economic system of  the last 3-5 centuries  (depending how you want to  define capitalism ), it has been an integral part of the socioeconomic fabric for innumerable successes and tragedies. For almost any take you might conceive someone having on capitalism, if you look around enough, you’ll likely find someone has already written about it (maybe even this one!). A common trope, of course, is the “greedy capitalist,” the evil banker or industrialist or business owner ruthlessly exploiting those beneath them for their own profit. Gordon Gekko  infamously lauded the goodness of greed , kicking off a generation of bloodthirsty blue-shirted hostile takeover artists who saw economics in brutal Darwinian terms.   Blue shirt + white collar + power tie + suspenders + gold Cartier = hide ya assets, hide ya balance sheet, hide ya sales projections, cause they takin o

The Singularity and Me

I'm trying to write about whatever I'm currently thinking about on this blog, but with the holiday, I've been mostly thinking about how relaxing it is to have some vacation. And, this Wednesday, I leave for San Francisco to visit Sanna's family (she's my girlfriend) and some friends. So, I want to make a post before I go, so that you don't think I've given up on this whole blog thing. Rather than talk about hanging out on the fourth, or politics or libertarianism or something else that's just gonna get me fired up and ruin the end of the weekend, I'm going to talk about what might be the most important thing in the world to me, outside of people: the singularity. The singularity is the name given to a broad collection of theories concerning the future development of technology and refers to the idea of a critical mass of technology beyond which lies an explosion in human intelligence and technological capabilities. The term was coined about 25 years